10.5. Custom Fields
HelpSpot custom fields allow for the creation of user-defined fields that store data on a given request. Custom fields are full-fledged data items in HelpSpot. They can be filtered on, modified with automation, used in templates, etc.
Custom Field Types and Creation
Custom fields are created and modified in Admin > Custom Fields. Below is a list of the available custom field types.
- Predefined List - Creates a dropdown list of options that a user can select.
- Drill Down List - Creates multiple levels of dropdown lists that are dependent on the parent selection.
- Text Field - Stores text data on a single line.
- Large Text Field - Store multiline text data.
- Date Field - Stores date data and presents a calendar date-picker for date entry.
- Date and Time Field - Stores date and time data and presents a date and time picker for entry.
- Regular Expression Field - Validates text data against a regular expression before allowing data entry.
- AJAX Selection Field - A programmatic field that dynamically populates options. More info here: Ajax Fields
- Checkbox - Creates a single checkbox fields
- Numeric Field - Stores whole number data.
- Decimal Field - Stores decimal number data.
Custom Field Options
When creating a custom field you can attach the custom field to particular categories. The requests in the categories selected will be the only requests that present those custom fields. You can also choose to make custom fields public which will show them on the public customer portal.
You can also choose to make a custom field required. If a custom field is required. Users will not be able to update / create a request without providing a value.